Thursday 11 April 2013

Around Sound Art Festival and Retreat


Kwun Tong Ferry Pier

Unlike the usual exhibitions happening in gallery, the Around Sound Art Festival and Retreat exhibition is actually held in Kwun Tong Ferry Pier, a semi-open space in the waterfront. When I set my foot into the gallery, I was immediately amazed by the space. The place is actually an empty and spacious Ferry Pier. The natural sunlight, breeze and the sound of surf forms a comfortable and relaxing environment to enjoy the visit. I felt calm and relaxed inside the pier.

Sound Installations
Sound device
Literally, Around Sound Art Festival and Retreat is of course an exhibition about sound. Indeed, there were many displays of innovative devices and installations making interesting sound. But what I want to focus and share is my whole new experience to two live sound performances.
 
Glass Bottles
When I stepped up on the second floor, my attention was drawn to the green glass bottles lining up in straight line on the ground. I didn’t what is going to happen and how it creates sound? Then, visitors and I were told to gather around to next side of the space. There was nothing strangely except a straight rope lying on the ground. An old man stood by the rope. At the beginning, I had no idea of who he is. He started to take some prop stands from the side and to place them along the rope one by one. Following that, he used wooden beams to connect the prop stands together. After finishing that, he hammered nail on the beams at intervals creating some annoying banging noise. I actually wondered what they are and how the performance is going on. The whole performance kept me curious on the next move.
 
Placing prop stands
Placing wooden beam


The old man hammering nails
Meantime, a lady from nowhere suddenly lied down on the ground. Yes, she stayed her body close to the ground. ‘What? Why is she doing that?’ I screamed in my mind. Is she trying to listen to the vibration of sound on ground? ‘What a passionate audience?’ I wondered in my mind. I couldn’t help but barely bear to laugh because that move was really hilarious. When the hammering went to half, the lady seemed to be woken up by the banging sound. She sat up and slowly stood up. Then she started to post different gestures and to dance slowing using arms.
The lady lying on the ground
 
The lady woke up
When all were set up, the old man used a chopstick to tap on the nails from one end to another, making beautiful and melodious notes. Hearing the sound, the lady simultaneously danced more vigorously. She interacted with the frequency, amplitude and speed of sound. The faster the tapping, the faster the sound, and the faster she danced.
 
Dancing lady
It appeared to be that the old man was interacting with the lady. But to me, it seemed that actually they were trying to convey a message, to tell a story and to perform a drama through the sound and the dance. The story is like a metamorphosis of a butterfly, from sleeping to struggling to fly and finally floating around the flowers. The final melody by tapping the nail and the energetic dance looked like the celebration of beautiful living of butterflies.

Another performance is also given by them. But the tools of producing sound were different by using the bottle I saw before. This time the lady kicked off the act by picking up a bottle. Surprisingly, there was water inside those bottles. The lady danced fluently while holding the bottle making the water inside to splash out on the ground. The water hit on the ground produced an amazingly pleasing sound. Then, the lady picked more bottles and did the same thing. Unexpectedly, the old man came in and picked the bottles one a hand. He knocked the bottles against each other producing strong beats. They repeated until all the water was poured.


Picking up Bottle

Dancing while pouring water

Water poured over the ground

The old man banging two bottles

Again, it seemed to me that the interaction of them was another story telling. A fairy was pouring rains to the world by happily dancing through the sky while a pixie was casting thunders. Or it is simply two drunk people madly danced.

The two performances were performed by Akio Suzuki, a Japanese sound artist and the lady I didn’t get her name. I think the performance they haven’t practiced before, but they just did it out of the consensus on sound and each other. Besides, I didn’t know until I watched and listened to these performances that sound can produce a space and tell a story. I am now quite interested to search more artworks of sound and discover more about Akio!

Akio Suzuki’s official website

No comments:

Post a Comment