Tuesday 9 April 2013

ANDY WARHOL

ANDY WARHOL
15 MINUTES ETERNAL

Highly recommended by my friends knowing I have studied the Contemporary Art, I caught up on Andy Warhol’s exhibition by the Easter Holiday. Before I went to the exhibition, I didn’t know anything about Andy Warhol and his works. But I was then told that he is the one to design Campbell’s Soup Cans and painting of Marilyn Monroe. So, my first impression of Andy Warhol and his works is full of glamour and colors, and the exhibition is going to be very eye-catching and joyful.

When I arrived to the exhibition, I was immediately attracted by the bright pink wall finish outside the exhibition. Unlike other exhibitions I visited, this one is a personal show displaying the artist’s own artworks. The exhibition space is arranged by the Warhol’s art life in 1950s, 60s, 70s and 80s. Therefore, I chose to get to know Warhol by following the steps of Andy took.
Exhibition Booklet

As a beginning in 50s, there are displays of his early art works after graduated, mostly sketches and illustrations. I can see Warhol’s drawings with a special ink line made by blotting the ink. One of the examples is the Folding Screen. The painting on it has very Warhol’s creative style with the bold color and unusual theme in that time. It pictures two naked fairies with vibrant butterfly wings floating above a vivid flower, a theme very much different from the heavy and abstract style in that time. This is what I admire about Andy Warhol that his artwork is easily understood, popular, very touchable to people but not follow the mainstream style.
Folding Screen

In the transition between 50s and 60s, I had to walk pass a room filled with many huge silver floating balloons. Even though they are not allowed to touched, many children and even myself couldn’t help but push and bang them just for fun. This once again demonstrates that Warhol’s art is about fun and to engage with people.

POP ART IS FOR EVERYONE.

Campbell's Soup Can

Brillo Box
In the 60s, the works are more recognizable and popular. The most representative works I immediately point out are the Campbell’s Soup Can and Brillo Box. I think Warhol do a great job to integrate art to daily life, making art approachable by everyone. This is why it is called ‘Pop art’. Besides, Warhol also drew and painted on portraits. Marilyn undoubtedly, I think, is the most widely-known. The different colors on the portrait, especially on the eyes and lips give strong and different feelings. For example, the bright colored portrait on the left looks joyful and sexy while the black and white painted reveals sadness from those eyes.
Portrait of Marilyn
Marilyn


Portrait named Most Wanted Men - a very controversial series by public and media 
To the 70s, Warhol’s life is all about exposures and fame. The works are mainly portrait of celebrities. The portrait is specially treated from Polaroid photo shoot into a silkscreen which is another Warhol’s creative style on painting. Representative work is Carolina Herrera. Alongside portraits of celebrities, Warhol also made a vast number of self-portraits. Well, I have no idea why. Maybe Warhol is very confident in himself.

Portrait of Carolina Herrera
Coming to the end in 80s, I particularly impressed by the boldness of Warhol to experiment different things, for instance, working with other young artist.
Crab - Collaboration painting with Jean-Michel Basquiat

I can still remember how the exhibition end with Warhol last Self-Portrait. The portrait is very visually impressive. The contrast of black and red give a shock and chill to me. I couldn’t help but think how important is this artist brings such touchable art to people. And still, the glamour and influence of Andy Warhol and his works will continuously inspire the generations.
Self-portrait of Andy Warhol
Andy Warhol Website: http://www.warhol.org/







No comments:

Post a Comment